The laurels go to New Zealand, Great Britain and Denmark at the European Championships.
The climax of racing at the SAP 49er & 49erFX Europeans 2013 in Aarhus, Denmark, delivered a nail-biting finale. Large crowds came out to witness the action on the promenade adjacent to the race track with thousands more watching the live streaming online. A glorious day of sun and blue sky made for a perfect day's sailing.
After a tense last race, overall victory in the 49er Class went to London 2012 Olympic silver medallists, Peter Burling and Blair Tuke of New Zealand, with Dylan Fletcher and Alain Sign from the UK taking second place and securing the “Best in Europe” title. Winning the first ever 49erFX European Championship crown were Marie Baad Nielsen and Marie Thusgaard Olsen of Denmark.
Attention for both classes now turns to the Class World Championships in Marseille, France from 21 to 29 September. “This is the big one for us this year and we will see how we go then against the Kiwis,” said Fletcher. A thrilled Baad Nielsen said, “It is a fantastic achievement, it is so amazing to win. The next big thing is going to be the 49erFX Worlds in Marseille, so we are looking forward to some racing there. We have two weeks of summer holiday and then we will start training again.”
Seiko has been the Watch Partner of the International 49er Association since 2007, and supports its development with both equipment and financial support. The new Seiko Velatura collection celebrates this partnership.
49er Final Results
1. Peter Burling/Blair Tuke (NZL) – 89 pts
2. Dylan Fletcher/Alain Sign (GBR) – 93 pts
3. Erik Heil/Thomas Ploessel (GER) – 112 pts
4. Julien d Ortoli/Noé Delpech (FRA) – 112 pts
5. Jonas Warrer/Peter Lang (DEN) – 113 pts
49erFX Women Final Results
1. Ida Marie Baad Nielsen/Marie Thusgaard Olsen (DEN) – 87 pts
2. Martine Soffiatti Grael/Kattena Larsen Kunze (BRA) – 104 pts
3. Alexandra Maloney/Molly Meech (NZL) – 108 pts
4. Jena Mai Hansen/Katja Salskov-Iversen (DEN) – 108 pts
5. Frances Peters/Nicola Groves (GBR) – 120 pts